Friday, April 23, 2010

And The Mystery Grows...


Eric Zschiesche climbing "The Greatest Show On Earth"


Huh. So no one actually knows what the true "Greatest Show" is. This should only fan the flames of utter confusion I suppose.

After a bit of prodding Eric Zschiesche sent me the above picture with some of his thoughts:

"Steve, good to hear the stones at the Lake are getting some human touch. Jeez,... it's been ten years or more, since I played on the Greatest Show boulder,...so it is slightly fuzzy. Cool chunk of sandstone, attached a photo of the boulder ( the photo lab botched the image configuration / so it is a mirrored remembrance. ), enjoy the DLSP spring."

First off, do you see how CLEAN that boulder is???!!! Holy hell! I need to get back out there with some more brushes and do that thing some justice! It's immaculate!!

Secondly, and remember it's a mirrored pic, Eric is topping out on the right side of the overhang. Far different than where Nic and I feel the direct would go, and even more different than Nic's left exit. On top of that, there is some pretty major chalk on the arete.

I guess it's time to go scrub! Seems like there might be three different Greatest Shows!!! HAH!

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Super cool. And to add to the fun, the image is reversed! That is just perfect! ce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's too good! I kinda love the mystery surrounding this damn boulder. At least it's entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most photo editing software can reverse images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, i think you're right. I don't do any editing so I'm not sure how but if someone wants to do it I'll repost it.

    Checked out some of my pics and it's a carpet right now where Eric tops out in the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve check your email inbox. Inverted/flipped photo coming your way. ce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this makes things way more interesting. I think there should be a super route that starts one spot and tries to use every hold on the boulder, rad! J/K. It would be cool if Eric came back, gave us all a little tour and school everyone on Lake bouldering, good times. When is the next time people are heading out there? I'm game whenever.
    Peace and sending,
    Remo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remo (or anyone) are you going to the "South Bluff Bouldering Tour" on Saturday? There was a thread on it on mp. Haven't seen a meeting time yet, but I was planning on going, that way I will finally see the imaginary "Reserve". One time, about 2 years ago (before the directions to get there were posted on mp), I went out to dinner with a bunch of people and one dude randomly was a climber. Said he had been to the Reserve a while back. When I asked him how to get there, he clammed up, got nervous, said he couldn't remember. I was like WTF dude, are you for real? Since then I looked for the reserve by myself 2 seasons ago after directions were posted, and came up emptyhanded a few times. 'Course we all know my directions skillz suck. I suspect now the trail is much more evident. Anyway, hope it's 60 and sunny! ce

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to be up on Tuesday afternoon after I'm done doing work threw Wisconsin on my way. Anyone down? It's hard to really give a time but it will probably be mid afternoon. I am also going to be in Minnesota for wed, thurs. Nic are you going to be around. Probably Duluth area on Thursday. Aren't there some good areas around there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, intruiging Sweaty. Lake? Dodge? I have to work, but might be able to meet you in the late afternoon... Will check with the boss. ce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Call you tonight or tomorrow. ce

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds good. im thinking the lake although i still need to finish S.V.

    ReplyDelete
  12. steve, remo, nic... I need to know what stuff I could and should do when I go to Sawmill on Thursday. Also any general area info that isnt on M.P. would be sweet. please help.

    ReplyDelete